Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Final Appointments in Atlanta

September 14, 2010


We had a safe trip to and from Atlanta Monday. The doctors appointments went well and we've made all the final arrangements. Our first appointment was with the OB doctor. He said to come off the Breathine (meds to stop contractions) at 37 weeks which will be this coming Saturday. So I am a little nervous about that but he said Jordan will be considered full term and the medicine will not do any good after 37 weeks. If he wants to come he will come with the medicine or not. He said for us to be at Northside on October 3rd at 7 pm and they would start the procedures for inducing on October 4th. He explained the process and how they wanted the labor to go...if all goes as planned he will be born sometime that Monday afternoon.


When we induce, they will have ALL the doctors on standby waiting for his arrival. They said if he is stable I may be able to hold him for a few minutes. He will be taken to NICU for them to get him on the monitors and give him the medicine that will keep his heart functioning properly until surgery. That makes me really sad to know I've waited 9 months to get my hands on him and I won't even be able to enjoy that special time with him for long. But I want them to do what is best for him and if its getting him to the NICU, then that is what we will deal with. All of the people at Northside have assured us that they are ready for him and will know exactly what needs to be done. After he is stable and the doctors have looked at him, they will let some of the family go see him and once I am able they will let me go see him. I can't imagine how exciting it will be to finally get to see him. It breaks my heart to know I may not get to hold him for weeks though. I will be asking everyday "Can I please hold him" I know when the time is right they will allow me to but I want to feel him against me so badly. The cardiologist will do an ECHO within the first couple of hours and discuss the results with the surgeon and they will meet with us to discuss the next steps. His condition will determine ALL of the calls. If he is doing well they may keep him at Northside until I am dismissed if not they may have to take him on to Egleston. So my prayers are that he will be able to stay at Northside until I get to leave...can't imagine not being able to see him. Once he gets to Egleston the surgery will be scheduled and he will be the boss. We have to take this one step at a time now. Let's get him here first and then we will all figure out what he needs and go from there.

Our second appointment was with the perinatologist. They did an ultrasound and said my cervix is still closed (which is wonderful news) and then they scanned Jordan. He is growing good and starting to practice breathing on his own. That is a very good sign of his overall health. They say he weighs about 6 pounds give or take 6 ounces and is right on schedule. The appointment went well and she was very positive about his condition and they want me to continue resting until the big day!

With all the Atlanta doctors appointments behind us we are patiently waiting for the BIG DAY! It will be here before we know it. Can't imagine how our lives are about to change. We've waited on this day for many years! I've always wanted a little boy - now my dreams are coming true.

Thanks again to everyone who has prayed for us and Jordan. We continue to feel God's blessings everyday. Our next appointments are Tuesday with the OB and perinatologist in Albany. We will keep everyone posted.

1 comment:

  1. I was able to hold Joshua the night before his surgery. I kept asking, and the nurses kept saying no. I later found out it was because his umbilical line was seeping. Once that stopped I held him until they had to pry him out of my arms. Just keep asking and asking. There should be no reason (if he is stable) that you can't hold him for at least a little bit.

    I'm continuing to pray! Keep me updated on how you are doing! :O)

    ReplyDelete